Alden is Always Looking for Talented Engineers and Scientists
Are you an engineer or biologist with a passion for the environment? Are you seeking a work environment where personal initiative is rewarded and where you can rely on a team of motivated professionals, all directed at helping one another achieve a common goal? We offer careers in the following professions:
• Hydraulic engineering
• Civil and Structural engineering
• Fisheries biology
• Mechanical engineering
Alden is a private consulting company and laboratory with a unique history and industry leading reputation going back to 1894. Our employees in Holden, MA., Redmond, WA., Portland, OR., and Fort Collins, Colorado get their hands dirty solving flow problems that make a difference, helping to clean the World’s environment and power its infrastructure, through fish protection studies, physical modeling experiments, field measurement, and the use of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) tools.
Alden Research Laboratory is looking for a Construction tech to work with a small team of technicians and engineers in a professional laboratory/warehouse setting in our Redmond, WA facility.
A successful candidate will
• assist with construction and demolition of water related scaled physical models
• learn trade specific construction techniques for wood and plastics under experienced carpenters/fabricators
• aid in regular laboratory cleanup and maintenance duties
• Some general construction experience required (1-5 year range)
• The ability to work safely, accurately and efficiently with a variety of hand, power and shop tools/equipment
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team
Accounts Payable Clerk
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Process vendor invoices, monitor and take advantage of discount opportunities,
verify Federal I.D. numbers, schedule and prepare checks for payments to
vendors and others, resolve purchase orders, contracts, invoices, or discrepancies
with payments and documentation.
• Insure credits are received for outstanding credit memos.
• Issue stop-payments at bank.
• Process purchase order amendments.
• Charge expenses appropriately to projects, accounts and cost centers by analyzing
vendor invoices and expense reports plus record all entries.
• Pay employees by receiving and verifying expense reports and requests for advances
via ACH Payments.
• Processes payments by wire transfers.
• Records daily deposits from checks received by mail and EFT deposits per bank.
• Maintain accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.
• Reconcile processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances.
• Verify vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.
• Maintain historical records by scanning and attaching documents into the Accounting
System (Ajera by Deltek) and filing documents.
• Disburse and maintain petty cash by verifying documentation and recording entries.
• Calculate sales taxes on vendor invoices and file sales tax reports including payments
of sales taxes to multiple states.
• Work closely with clerk in remote office location who also processes vendor invoices.
• Complete special projects for the Accounting Department as assigned from time to time.
• Handle and keep all information confidentially within the Accounting Department.
• Take advantage of educational opportunities to strengthen skills and advance career
(some travel may be necessary).
Above average attention to detail, good organizational skills, thoroughness, ability to analyze information, accounting background helpful, experience with vendor relationships, high computer literacy and proficiency, good data entry skills, ability to track budgeted expenses and general math skills.
Experience and Educational Requirements:
Minimum of five years experience processing accounts payable transactions with at least a high school diploma / or will accept an entry-level candidate with Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and/or Accounting from a known accredited institution of higher learning.
Hydraulic Engineer I
Alden’s Redmond hydraulic modeling laboratory is seeking a civil, environmental, or mechanical engineer with an interest in hydraulic engineering. Typical projects range from upgrades and modifications of existing spillways and dams to water supply, pump stations, and treatment facilities. This is an excellent opportunity to work closely with senior staff on truly one-of-a kind projects.
A successful candidate will assist with
• physical and/or numerical hydraulic modeling projects
• analysis and design of hydraulic structures
• literature review
• data presentation
• field studies.
Work may also include assisting with
• preparation of design and construction documents
• performing drafting work in AutoCAD.
The position will provide the opportunity to be involved with all phases of hydraulic engineering projects including: planning, design, construction, analysis, and presentation. Alden is seeking a candidate with leadership skills and a willingness to take on new challenges in hydraulic engineering.
BS in civil, environmental, or mechanical engineering or related subjects. Two years of relevant experience or a master’s degree will be considered as a plus. Talented recent BS graduates with relevant hydraulic and hydrologic engineering courses and strong commitment to be an outstanding hydraulic engineer will be considered as well.
This position is at Alden’s Redmond Office.
Our mission is to be the recognized leader in solving flow-related engineering and environmental problems.
We will accomplish this by:
• Supporting the World’s environmental and energy future through independent evaluation
and optimization of new and existing technologies
• Providing value-added solutions to industry and government agencies
• Providing a quality product that meets or exceeds our clients' expectations
• Taking an active role in shaping environmental regulations that impact the power industry
• Developing our staff to be company and industry leaders.
The Alden mission statement reflects a commitment to support our clients’ needs while supporting and grooming our staff to become recognized experts in their specialty areas. Teamwork in a casual work environment, where workers are encouraged to take steps that will further their careers, defines our culture. Combined with a constant stream of challenging and often unusual projects, this environment encourages staff to grow within Alden, resulting in an extremely low turnover rate. As a result, our clients benefit from having project teams not only with extensive experience but also with a long history of working together.
AA/EOE Minorities and Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit your resume to Kellie Brewer click HERE.
“My friends outside of work are all very jealous of my job just because I enjoy working for Alden so much.” Kevin Bastien, Engineering Assistant
“Once you [choose] something [to do for a living], you’re going to put all your energy and spirit into it.” Songheng Li, Ph.D., Senior CFD Engineer
“Our business plan here is to make a profit, but to have fun doing it. If you’re not having fun, then you’re in the wrong business.” –David Anderson, Senior Vice President